|Ph.D. (Cornell University)|
|Lab of Metabolic Medicine|
|Singapore Bioimaging Consortium|
Helios #01-02, 11 Biopolis Way
After graduating from Nankai University with a B.S. in Medical Biology, he studied as a graduate student with Prof. Robert F. Gilmour, Jr. at Cornell University and received a Ph.D. in Physiology in 1996. He then moved to Pittsburgh to work with Prof. Ed Levitan at the University Of Pittsburgh, where he studied cellular mechanisms of hormone secretion regulation using advanced fluorescence imaging techniques. In 1999, he was appointed HHMI Associate in Prof. Tom Südhof’s laboratory at the UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, where he studied molecular mechanisms of neurotransmitter release using molecular genetic and cell biological methods. In 2003, he was promoted to Research Assistant Professor in the Center for Basic Neuroscience at UT Southwestern Medical Center. Since then, his research has been focused on the molecular mechanisms of hormone secretion and signaling. In December of 2005, he moved to Singapore to set up a research program in the Laboratory of Metabolic Medicine (LMM) at SBIC. He is also Adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Biochemistry at National University of Singapore (since February, 2007), and Adjunct Investigator at Singapore Institute of Clinical Sciences (since April, 2008).
- Gustavsson N, Seah T, Lao Y, Radda GK, Südhof TC, Han W: Delayed onset of hyperglycemia in a mouse model with impaired glucagon secretion demonstrates that dysregulated glucagon secretion promotes hyperglycemia and type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia 54(2):415-423, 2011.
- Gustavsson N, Wang X, Seah T, Wang Y, Xu J, Radda GK, Südhof TC, Han W: Neuronal Calcium sensor synaptotagmin-9 is not involved in the regulation of glucose homeostasis or insulin secretion. PLoS ONE 5(11):e15414, 2010.
- Lou PH, Yang G, Huang L, Cui Y, Pourbahrami T, Radda GK, Li C, Han W: Reduced body weight and increased energy expenditure in transgenic mice over-expressing the soluble leptin receptor. PLoS One 5(7):e11669, 2010.
- Han W, Chuang K-H, Chang YT, Olivo M, Velan SS, Townsend D, Bhakoo K, Radda GK: Imaging metabolic syndrome. EMBO Molecular Medicine 2(6):196-210, 2010.
- Han W, Li C: Linking type 2 diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 107(15):6557-6558, 2010.
- Kostromina E, Gustavsson N, Wang X, Lim CY, Radda GK, Li C, Han W: Glucose intolerance and impaired insulin secretion in pancreas-specific STAT3 KO mice are associated with reduced microvasculature around pancreatic islets. Endocrinology 151(5):2050-2059, 2010.
- Gustavsson N, Han W: Calcium sensing beyond neurotransmitters: Functions of synaptotagmins in neuroendocrine and endocrine secretion. Bioscience Reports 29(4):245-259, 2009. (invited review)
- Gustavsson N, Wei S-H, Hoang DN, Lao Y, Zhang Q, Radda GK, Rorsman P, Südhof TC, Han W: Synaptotagmin-7 is a principal Ca2+-sensor for Ca2+-induced glucagon exocytosis in pancreas. The Journal of Physiology 587(6):1169-1178, 2009.
- Yang G, Lim C-Y, Li C, Radda GK, Li C, Cao X, Han W: FoxO1 inhibits leptin regulation of POMC promoter activity by blocking STAT3 interaction with specificity protein 1. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 284(6):3719-3727, 2009.
- Gustavsson N, Lao Y, Maximov A, Chuang J-C, Kostromina E, Repa J, Li C, Radda GK, Südhof TC, Han W: Impaired insulin secretion and glucose intolerance in synaptotagmin-7 null mutant mice. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105:3992-3997, 2008.